[78-L] Xmas Music

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 24 19:47:21 PST 2008

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> David,  Is the 1942 version from the movie soundtrack or was it also a Decca
> record?

The Decca record.  For some reason Decca re-recorded it after the war
and it was that version that was on all the later albums on all three
speeds.  The first re-issue of the original was on an early Smithsonian
subscription CD of Irving Berlin records.

> I was told by his nephew that John Scott Trotter never received a dime of
> royalties for the Crosby record or for his arrangement...but he and Crosby
> still remained friends ever after!
>
> Taylor B

Why should he?  He got paid for the recording session and the
arrangement if it was his he got paid for it, too.  The only ones who
ever get statutory royalties on record sales are the composer and the
music publisher.  If the performer wants royalties they have to contract
that with the record company, so even Crosby's royalties weren't
automatic.  If Trotter didn't have a deal with Decca, too bad.  That is
why the fools who want to extend their copyright laws to help the
performers and the sidemen are on a fool's errand.  The record company
will take all the extra money, and most of the time it isn't even the
same record company.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com