[78-L] Xmas Music

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 24 16:03:46 PST 2008

I lived through the Jimmy Boyd when it was new..oddly enough, I never hear it
coming out of the WalMart speakers or the E-Z format stations, only the new one
(which may not be THAT new, it could be an Osmond or a Jackson or some other
argument for retroactive birth control). Gene Autry endures, both Eartha Kitt
recordings + Madonna's Santa Baby abound, and I even heard the ORIGINAL 1942
Crosby White Christmas on a store's system last week..it's the late 40s one
that's around everywhere, and there are audible differences in the arrangement
and performance.

Tom wrote:
> Almost as bad as the version with the title "I Saw Daddy Kissing Santa
> Claus," I guess. lol

I've yet to hear the suppressed Spike Jones feelthy version, which I know Will
Friedwald has.

kil at roadrunner.com wrote:

> That's the Jackson Five version from 1970 featuring little Michael, who was either 11 or 12 at the time.  Can't blame him for the words, though, he was just following directions.  Production credits go to The Corporation and Hal Davis.
> I agree, that one is pretty low on my list but not nearly as bad as my least favorite, THE CHRISTMAS SHOES by Newsong.  It's so sick I turn off the station that plays it for at least two days.  It doesn't help as most modern stations keep playing it.
> RayK

That answers THAT..I thought it was one of those little monsters. If it was
from 1970, I had 3 years of keeping it off the air at CKLB. That was when I was
about the only music director playing Feliz Navidad.

dl