[78-L] ANOTHER Fleischer reissue

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 24 16:01:11 PST 2008

Well, I hope they're not using the same version as were on the huge Superman
boxset.  It was a real hodgepodge.  While the quality was generally very
good to excellent, some cartoons were edited, and the beginning and end
music was screwed up on many (most?).  Compare the Warner release to the
Bosko Video/Image DVD version of several years ago.  Although Bosko's prints
generally look worse and they annoyingly superimpose the release date over
the beginning of the cartoons, the music is correct.

The really annoying thing about the Warner release is that they claimed to
go to extra pains to restore the correct music to the beginning and endings
of the cartoons.  It seems like whoever made the edit decisions just didn't
have a clue.  In more than one case the distinctive opening music from one
cartoon was used on another.  Also the end music on many is a generic
version, replacing the original music.

I was so excited when Warners announced they were releasing the Fleischer
Superman cartoons, only to be disappointed by a lackluster release.  I hope
they've corrected these problems on the new release, but we'll see!

Sammy

Message: 15