[78-L] Grammy honorees

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 22 11:00:50 PST 2008

soundthink at aol.com wrote:
> Good choices, all. Congrats to George Avakian, who I know audits this list from time to time.
>
> Cary Ginell
>

> Gene Autry, the Blind Boys Of Alabama, the Four Tops, Hank Jones, Brenda Lee, Dean Martin, and Tom Paxton Honored with The Recording Academy® Lifetime Achievement Award
>
> George Avakian, Elliott Carter, and Allen Toussaint Honored with Trustees Award
>
> Clarence "Leo" Fender and Universal Audio to Receive Technical GRAMMY® Award
>
> The special invitation-only ceremony will be held during GRAMMY Week on Saturday, Feb. 7, and a formal acknowledgment will be made during the 51st Annual GRAMMY Awards telecast, which will be held at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2009, and broadcast live at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CBS Television Network.

It is too bad that they don't ditch the generally worthless regular
Grammy Awards telecast and instead broadcast the "special
invitation-only ceremony" for these honorees.  These worthy people don't
even get asked up to the stage in the televised ceremony -- barely get a
mention going into commercial breaks.  Instead of their music we will
hear rap crap.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com