[78-L] Leaving negative feedback and variable speed turntable^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 21 20:23:27 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Rice" <bobrice at snet.net>>
>> Uh oh. Trains and 78s - better watch out!
>> A long time collector in the UK and I have discussed the possible
>> correlation between 78 collecting and train-spotting. Both involve long
>> lists of memorized numbers and fascination to the point of obsession.
>> Could it be the hypnotic effect of train cars passing and records going
>> round and round have something to do with these pleasurable diversions
>> as well?
>   Yes!For SURE! Think of "Dance of the Hours" and the sounds of 8 wheel
> freight cars passing by, on a rail joint?Heard alot of that in my Con Rail
> freight train daze! Alota other RR sounds come to mind with music. Take
> the
> A train as the older subway cars made series-parallel on their motor
> controls?Alotta RR sounds are in old, Pop music, if ya listen for it?
> Maybe
> this is why I like it?

LONG ago, as a mere children (back when steam engines were still in
use, and "choo-choo-trains" actually WENT "Choo! Choo!") I became
aware of the rhythmic similarity between "boogie-woogie" recordings
and the rhythm created by a train crossing a junction or switch!! In
fact, that FASCINATED me (at the age of about three?!), and I
used to fantasize trains crossing switches usw. when I listened to
"boogie woogie" records (then and NOW favourites of mine!!)

...stevenc