[78-L] Trains + music, was Re: Leaving negative feedback and variable speed turntable^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 21 18:16:47 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe at salerno.com" <jsalerno at earthlink.net>
> David Lennick wrote:
>> We've done this dozens of times..dozen't hurt to compile them again.
>> THE RUNAWAY TRAIN..Vernon Dalhart
>> CHOO CHOO TRAIN..Doris Day
>> CORONATION SCOT..Sidney Torch and other orchestras
>> PACIFIC 231 (Honegger)
>> THE LITTLE TRAIN OF THE CAIPIRA (Villa Lobos)
>> AY AY CHUG A CHUG..Peggy Lee
>> DOWN BY THE STATION..4 Preps, Others
>> BAHNFAHRT aka CHOO CHOO TRAIN RIDE..Hans Schindler's Orchestra
>> ALL POINTS WEST..Paul Whiteman, Rudy Vallee
>> CHATTANOOGA CHOO CHOO..Glenn Miller
>> ROCK ISLAND LINE..Leadbelly, Lonnie Donegan, Stan Freberg
>> TRAIN TO THE ZOO..The Weavers (uncredited on original CRG release)
>> MTA..Kingston Trio (who redid this as a 7-Up jingle in 1961..sellouts!)
>> SHUFFLE OFF TO BUFFALO..various
>> GOIN' HOME TRAIN (from Call Me Mister)..Lawrence Winters
>> MIDNIGHT SPECIAL..Weavers and others
>> THE TORONTO SUBWAY SONG..Ozzie Williams
>> TRAINS..Reginald Gardiner (no music, but great vocal effects!)

Also add (these MAY be dupes, as I haven't looked at the entire thread...?!)

On the 5:15 (Victor, one of their "usual quartets" with B. Murray on
lead...?!)
This Train (later re-done as "My Babe!")
Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe
Orient Express (I have a great version on c.1931 Telefunken!)
2:19 Blues ("I'm gonna lay my head on some lonesome railroad line,
and let the 2:19 train pacify my mind"...!)
Casey Jones (MANY artists!)
I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow
et al et al...will post more as I recall them...!

...stevenc