[78-L] The 1941 RCA player: it plays both sides Magic Brain

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Sun Dec 21 13:48:01 PST 2008

Someone else probably remembers who made it but when I was growing
up, ww2 era, my parents had a fancy record player with an early
concept of a changer for 78s. One stacked them and a mechanism came
out and picked them up and moved them to a bin. I think I'm
remembering this correctly. What I do clearly remember is that
occasionally one would hear very odd noises as the mechanism failed.
One would leap to one's feet and rush to the player to try to save
the record being removed. I don't remember ever getting there in time
to prevent the mechanism breaking one of a set of records. Nothing
like incomplete sets in those days.

Malcolm Smith.