[78-L] Record Retailing Yearbook

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 20 21:15:18 PST 2008

soundthink at aol.com wrote:
> No, as I said, this is "Record Retailing." It has nothing to do with Billboard. This was published by Harrison/Wallach Publications. The introduction to the 1945 edition indicates it is the premier edition. I just wanted to know how many years it was published.
>
> Cary Ginell

I have only the 45 issue and the only other copy I have seen was also
the 45 issue.  I didn't know there was any other issues because they
described this one as a "Convention In Print" as a way to overcome
war-time restrictions on travel.  Interesting to know you have the 46
and that there seems to have been a 48 and 49.  The question could also
be asked as to how long "Record Retailing" magazine was published, and
the other magazine (?) they mention "Listen: the Guide to Good Music.".

Steve's comment about it was very puzzling.  You had said nothing about
"special edition" nor  "indie labels".  What was he reading??  This book
is more about accessories like needles, empty albums, store display
furniture, and carry-bags than about record companies.  (The embossed
gold ad for Pfanstiehl needles on the back cover is stunning!)   During
this era Billboard WAS publishing an annual yearbook, but they called it
"The Billboard Music Year Book Book: The Encyclopedia and Reference Work
of the Music Industry" and then simply:  "Billboard Encyclopedia of
Music."  And it did continue to be published during the years of the
"gazillion indie labels" and it WAS the size of the Chicago phone book
of the era.  I have the 45-46 issue which was the seventh annual
edition, and the  47-48 issue ninth.  Why would there being a gazillion
indie labels cause them to stop publishing it??????  It made the need
for it MORE!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net>