[78-L] 1922 customs decision etc. ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 20 20:34:32 PST 2008

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> [...]

Problem was also Canada Post at that time..there were a couple of instances of
over-eager minions destroying, ignoring or covering the original custom
stickers and sending the packages by my friendly mailman, who'd want to collect
fees. I'd send the parcel back, it would come back to me, I'd refuse it again.
Another time, Norbeck Peters & Ford shipped me some records to transfer, which
had been purchased by Biddulph for me to transfer, and the value of $20 CDN had
been clearly marked on the form. Someone had decided that these records were in
fact worth $200 and expected me to pony up. In this instance I paid the
appropriate fee rather than have them shipped back and broken in the process,
eventually filled out the proper protest form (which they make as difficult to
deal with as possible, similar to trying to fight a traffic ticket in Toronto,
so that you eventually give up). There's a reason for my keeping a mailbox in
the US.