[78-L] Pile o' 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 18 15:33:27 PST 2008

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:

> Whoever had the idea that ET's should be destroyed needs to have his
> or her head examined. They were crazy!!

Yes there is a medical term for this type of person.  They are known as
Obsessive-Compulsive.  Everything must be in their exact place.  Every
rule must be followed to the letter whether it makes any sense or not.
Open tidy spaces are a must.  If it is of no interest to them it is of
no interest to anybody.

A few years ago I heard a Public Radio program in a series called The
Brain.  It concerned people with "clutter" much like many of us.  They
determined that the brain waves and brain activity was different for
these people.  There was an emotional fear of releasing or discarding
anything.  To solve the problem of one particular test subject, the
brought in a professional de-clutterer.  In one day she solved the guys
clutter problem -- and thereby his mental problem -- by tossing
EVERYTHING but his essential furnature into dumpsters and trucks and
hauling it away.  MY contention is that they should ALSO have checked
HER brain waves and brain activity.  It ALSO would have been "different".

It turns out that the guy was a theatrical producer, and the clutter was
the files, photos, correspondence, scripts, posters, programs, etcetra,
of his whole life's work and career which went back as far as being one
of the organizing producers of the Inaugural Balls for JFK in 1961.

But now he had a neat, clean, tidy, and empty apartment.  No
consideration was made that perhaps the Billy Rose Archive at NYPL
Lincoln Center might have been a good repository instead of dumpsters.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com