[78-L] The 1941 RCA player: it plays both sides Magic Brain

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 18 14:06:43 PST 2008

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> On 12/18/2008 7:16:14 AM, William A. Brent (bbrent at pipeline.com) wrote:
>  > wasn't this the Magic Brain?
>  >

> I think so....

YES it IS the "Magic Brain".  It is NOT any of the other
Johnny-come-latelies like the Seeco of 1948 and the RockOla Rocket of
1952.  Nor the insult of the Lirpa 1 April Fools Day article in Audio.
Note that the article was from 1941 and is describing a machine which is
much before these "common jukebox designs" as Malcolm put it.

We have talked about the Magic Brain several times on this list because
people have seen it illustrated on Victor and Bluebird sleeves.  It did
die off rather quickly  -- the only one I have seen in person was lying
on its side on the floor of the electronics warehouse in the Smithsonian
American History museum many decades ago.  The reason why it died off
was not because it was impractical, but because of its date of
introduction.  All civilian electronic production ceased by March or
April 1942, and not too many of these expensive changers and their even
more expensive console sets had been sold by then.

A lot of parts were shared with RCA's regular changer, such as the
knife-blade supports and the slide-in replaceable crystal cartridge with
a semi-permanent sapphire stylus.  The question about how the record was
clamped is answered by saying it isn't!  There is only a label-sized
turntable.  It relies on the weight of the record to keep it on that
tiny turntable.

You can see it in operation at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIAa_J0Rqc

It is rather shocking to see it drop the record.  It would have made
more sense for the turntable to go up to the record like in a Wurlitzer
jukebox, but this guy says it won't break records during the drop.

As I mentioned, there are pictures of it on many Victor and Bluebird
sleeves of the day, but also here  http://www.shellac.org/wams/wmbrain.html

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com