[78-L] aircheck - Morey Amsterdam show

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Thu Dec 18 13:21:21 PST 2008

 -----Original Message-----

I picked up a home recording of the Morey Amsterdam show, 10" 78.? He has a

guest who does a great send up of Cab Calloway singing St James Infirmary, tells
cab jokes[hadsome cab - ugly cab], and Morey sings Why Did I Ever Leave Wyoming,
covering several different styles.? It ends with yet another send up of Laughing
On the Outside by Morey.? Suely he was a great comedic talent - no wonder I
loved him on VanDyke's TV show!? He references the new Morey Amsterdam party
record, so we date it to sometime in 1947, but who was the Calloway sound-alike
guest?

Rodger

I guess the Party Album stayed in print for a while and he wrote "Wyoming" in '46. His TV show was simulcast on radio.
"From December 17, 1948 to March 7, 1949, Morey Amsterdam was the emcee
at a nightclub located in Times Square on the CBS network."
http://www.crazyabouttv.com/moreyamsterdamshow.html

One of the 1949 Dumont shows:
http://www.archive.org/details/moreyamsterdamshow
David Diehl