[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 16:14:35 PST 2008

The AFI catalogue for 1931-40 sez:

"Although the onscreen credits did not have a comma in the film's title, both contemporary and modern sources refer to it as Hallelujah, I'm a Bum. The film's working titles were The New Yorker, Happy Go Lucky and The Optimist. In 1941, it was re-issued as The Heart of New York, which had also been a working title, in a re-edited version that ran for 68 min."

So that explains one of the alternate titles. The DVD came out in 2002, for the record.

-Harold