[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Wed Dec 17 10:26:48 PST 2008

Steve Ramm wrote:
> I just KNOW there will be feedback on this posting (Hey, I've been here awhile).
>
> There was mention a while ago about the first release on DVD of Jolson's Hallelujah I'm a Bum along with Cantor's "Whoopee" and " Kid Millions". It's part of the Fox/MGM 61 DVD (!) set (with 5 films) "Classic Musicals.
>
> Well I was able to get a set to review and wanted to report in. It's a sad situation.
>
> I was anxious to watch the one Cantor and one Jolson. WOW what a disappointment.
>
> There is NO restoration at all and no bonus items. Not even a liner note! The 61 DVDS in the set are divided into 4 decade packs and these are cardboard sleeve with just the title. I've never seen Hallelujah I'm A Bum before and really liked the story. The print is worn and sound distorted.
>
> Watch Whoopee Last night. All the color is washed out and the big production numbers have distorted sound. Haven't watched Kid Millions yet.
>
> The Other DVDs in the 1930-1949 group are the same discs that have been released before complete with OLD "previews". Yeesh. And the packaging of this set is AWFUL and falls apart.
>
> Of course, I don't know who the set is aimed at with Elvis, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Sound of Music and Hair included. IT's down as low as $329 at Costco but who wants it.
>
> It's such a shame that Fox doesn't let the rights go to Warners to restore or restore and put together a Cantor/Jolson set. (That'll never happen and Turner doesn't own these films either.)The ONLY Jolson film from the 20s-30s I've seen other than "Hallelujah" is the Jazz Singer. I was impressed by his acting in Hallelujah.
>
> Thought I'd share.

Thanks for the sharing, disappointing as the result proved to be.

I just pulled out my tape of Whoopee! from telecast decades back. If the
quality is as I recall, I suppose I'll have to digitize it since the
commercial release appears to be inferior. As for Halllujah, I'm a Bum,
what I've seen - the big number, "Seven Acres and a Mule", IIRC - is on
LaserDisc in one of those MGM boxed sets. That I know is a beautiful
transfer.

The argument from Fox/MGM may be: At five bucks a disc, what do you
expect. They don't want my answer.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/