[78-L] Cantor/Jolson films in the MGM/FOX - A report

William A Brent bbrent at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 17 10:18:23 PST 2008

possibly - as they own it - but they are gun-shy when it comes to
well known films
with black-face  as it Fox.  Of course they really don't know the
films that well, so
FOX will show Dante's Inferno where Spencer Tracy has a 8 min scene,
in black-face,
where he sticks his head through a canvas at a carnival booth, and people throw
baseballs at it.
Turner shows Harold Lloyd's The Cat's Paw where the Asians are
referred to as "The Chinks" - pretty sure some (not me of course)
find that offensive.

(BTW - there are no ethnic stereotypes that offend me - including
those directed at
my background, which is German.)