[78-L] Decca???

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Dec 17 04:22:51 PST 2008

Cary Ginell wrote:
> That's all well and good, but the key question that remains unanswered is:
> where did the name "Decca" come from? > I've never found anything but
> theories:
> a) It represents a five-note sequence, D-E-C-C-A from a Beethoven
> composition Edward Lewis was fond of
> (Beethoven's bust can be found on England Decca labels)
---
British trumpeter and band leader Jack Jackson, from the swing time era,
used to present a Decca Record Hit Parade on Radio Luxemburg, from the late
1940's well into the 1960's. In later years, at least, it had an orchestral
signature with vocal chorus: the letters D-E-C-C-A named and sung as notes
(dee-eee-see-see-aaee), with the two C's an octave apart (the first one
lower). Quite nice for a pop music show and tuned in the major - not typical
Beethoven, though...
Here's a link
http://www.offringa.nl/sound/tonyhall.mp3
Kristjan