[78-L] An American Decca query

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 19:34:26 PST 2008

The Brunswick facilities were still being used to record custom material, radio
transcriptions and the like after ARC had acquired the catalog. When Decca was
formed, they bought the facilities and continued using the same old crappy
equipment and master numbers. I posted an interesting link a few weeks
ago..let's see if I can find it again:

http://www.vjm.biz/new_page_11.htm

Fascinating stuff, and you'll find the Decca foundation about 2/3 down. Or
right here, if you can't wait:

Herbert J. Yates was, in an oblique way, largely responsible for the creation
of American Decca. Yates was the head of Consolidated Film Industries, a film
processing lab which had acquired a substantial interest in ARC circa October
1930. When in 1934 Yates promised Edward R. Lewis, the head of Decca Records
Ltd. of London since its 1929 founding, that ARC and Decca could jointly buy
the financially distressed Columbia Phonograph Company, Lewis crossed the
Atlantic to ink the deal. (The deal was for American Columbia, which marketed
Columbia in the U.S., its territories and Canada; a separate company, E.M.I.,
controlled Columbia everywhere else and was not part of the sale.) On his
arrival in New York in July 1934, Lewis was shocked to learn that Yates had
reneged on his promise. While he’d been at sea, ARC had bought Columbia for a
price reported at $75,500, a pittance considering that the sale included the
catalogs of two active labels, American Columbia and OKeh, plus a number of
discontinued ones including Harmony, Diva, Velvetone, Clarion, American Odeon
and American Parlophone, also the company’s trademark rights, patents and a
non-union pressing plant at Bridgeport, Connecticut that was especially
attractive to the union-loathing Yates. Decca had been left out of the deal,
but Lewis soon found a way to even the score with Yates and ARC.

Because Decca Records Ltd. of London also managed British Brunswick under
authority of Warner Bros. Pictures, Lewis was acquainted with Jack Kapp, Milton
Rackmil and E.F. Stevens, three of U.S. Brunswick’s top managers, as well as
Hermann Starr of Warners. Negotiations soon began with the goal of starting a
U.S. Decca label in competition to ARC and its labels. Showing great
prescience, Kapp had placed an escape clause in the contracts of many of
Brunswick’s recording artists whereby the contracts could be ended if he ever
left the company. Thus, when Kapp quit Brunswick for Decca Records Inc., as the
new company was called, he was able to bring with him some of Brunswick’s
best-selling artists, including Bing Crosby, Guy Lombardo, the Mills Brothers
and the Casa Loma Orchestra.

While the key founders of Decca Records Inc. are generally cited as Lewis,
Kapp, Rackmil and Stevens, the contributions of Warner Bros. Pictures were no
less essential. As Lewis later recalled in his autobiography ("No C.I.C.,"
Universal Royalties Ltd., London, 1956, page 55): "Negotiations took place with
Hermann Starr, head of the Brunswick Radio Corporation, Warner’s subsidiary and
now in charge of their extensive music publishing interests. Within a few days
we had entered into an agreement under which the plant and recording equipment
were purchased, and leases were entered into for both the factory and the
offices at 619 West 54th Street and the offices and recording studios at 799
Seventh Avenue. The consideration for the purchase was 5,000 out of 25,000
Common Shares of $1 each in the new company to be formed as Decca Records Inc.,
and $60,000 in a series of promissory notes. The plant at that time would not
have fetched more than $20,000 or so in a sale, yet for our purposes it had a
special value in that it made it possible for the business to start operations
immediately; indeed without this factory plant and office space and equipment
it is doubtful whether the company could have been started at all."

dl