[78-L] Oda Slobodskaya

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 16 14:49:45 PST 2008

David Lennick wrote:
> Delta was an English LP label connected with Fidelio,

The rear of the sleeve shows a copyright The Delta Record Co., London
1964.  The labels are rough surface plum color much like Pye pressings.
Isn't Delta now the name of a British CD label group?

>  and also with that
> no-goodnik who passed off dozens of recordings of other pianists as his wife
> Joyce Hatto.

Oh THAT no-goodnik.  That is one hell of a story!!!!
> I'm not sure where my copy of the Slobodskaya is, so I can't tell
> you which label it's on (in fact I thought it might have been on Saga).

Saga pressings are like that also, if I remember correctly.

> The
> hilarity is unintentional and it's in the thickly accented Mme Slobodskaya
> swooping up and down as she tells the tale.
>
> dl

You could also say that about Richard Hale!!  I will need to compare
this with the recordings by the woman who commissioned the work, Natalia
Satz.  I have her in Russian on Melodiya LP and CD, and in English on a
videotape of the 50th anniversary concert in upstate-NY.  And of course
there is the CD by one of Prokofiev's widows.

And I finally found a DVD of the Soviet cartoon from the 60s.  In it the
CAT gets eaten by the wolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The cat had conspired with
the wolf to get the duck, but when the duck escapes to inside the fence,
the wolf looks over to the cat . . .  and . . .

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com