[78-L] An American Decca query

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 14:42:00 PST 2008

The claim is almost valid, actually. Decca began recording almost
simultaneously in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles in August 1934. Charles
Bourne recorded in NY on August 2nd and 3rd and none of the sides was released.
Hamblen made the first LA recordings on the 3rd, and Chicago didn't start
recording activity till the following week. Bing Crosby and the Sons of the
Pioneers had sessions in LA on the 8th, then Guy Lombardo and the Dorsey
Brothers recorded in NY a few days later. Whether or not Hamblen had the first
contract, he seems to have made the first recordings to be issued.

dl