[78-L] An American Decca query

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 13:56:24 PST 2008

MCA was founded as a talent agency for musicians and bands in 1924, but I don't
believe it had a direct stake in the record business until it acquired Universal (and
therefore Decca) in 1962. Hamblen was probably among the first to sign a contract
with Kapp; his 3 August 1934 recordings have matrix numbers of DLA1 and 2--although
I'd have to do more research before I'd feel comfortable asserting that he was
*the* first, especially in a published work.

-Harold