[78-L] Cambridge Process

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 16 11:14:39 PST 2008

P G C wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but, is this Software, hHrdware ot both?.

Cedar is a computer-based audio restoration process that is a software
on a PC platform but requires some very expensive purpose-built
hardware.  The concept was originally conceived by Lloyd Stickles when
he was chief engineer of what was then known as the British Institute of
Recorded Sound (I was just looking at some videotape of Lloyd's first
presentations about it at ARSC and IASA back in the 80s.)  Creating the
process was entrusted to a team at Cambridge Univ, and during the early
years of what we now consider low-capacity computers it took several
minutes to process a second of sound.  You let the computer do a record
side overnight!!!

There was a similar system introduced a couple of years after the first
Cedar called No-Noise by Sonic Solutions, and it was too easy to
over-process recordings using this system.  I'm not sure it is still
around -- I don't recall seeing credits for it in recent years.
> Again any good WWW link will helo

http://www.cedaraudio.com/products/cambridge/camnr4.html

http://www.independentaudio.com/CDCatalog/HTML/cedar.html

http://www.audio-restoration.com/cedar.php   (Graham Newton's site)

http://www.esotericsound.com/NoiseReduction.htm  (Mike Stosich's site)

http://www.audiomasterclass.com/arc.cfm?a=cedar-single-ended-noise-reduction-system-part-5

There are others.  Just Google "Cedar Noise Reduction"

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com