[78-L] Most Prized Record (Earl Okin)

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 08:51:48 PST 2008

Hi!

The record that comes to mind instantly would be Feodor Chaliapin
singing Rubinstein's Persian Love Song, made around 1931 in London.
He would have been almost 60yo by then. The recording quality is
superb for its day, as well!

It's certainly not the most rare or valuable record in my collection
but it's a performance that is just stunning, especially the final
verse.

Earl Okin

That reminds me - when the movie MOONSTRUCK came out in 1987, a friend of
mine mentioned that Feodor Chaliapin played Cher's grandfather in the film
and looked good for his age. I checked and told the friend that Chaliapin
would be 115 years old! (It was the singer's son in the movie, age 81.)

Dave W.