[78-L] Cambridge Process

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Tue Dec 16 07:01:37 PST 2008

Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> I never really understand that whole filtering thing.... except for really
> badly worn records (and no better copies can be located). To my ears it
> almost always sounds less....

"Always" is a tough criterion to satisfy. In many cases, I react
similarly, but in others I find that reducing some types of noise
enhances my appreciation of the program. For example, I almost always
attenuate subsonic rumble on LPs; at negligible cost in authenticity,
that enhances clarity and facilitates manual editing.

More to the point, one is not always editing audio for one's own taste.
Trying to address a market trained on CDs with silent background can
lead to overprocessing, but pretending that everyone is as tolerant of
treatable faults as you are can lead to a short career in editing.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/