[78-L] Need info on a center-start Pathe

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 15 17:29:14 PST 2008

I forwarded on your info and two requests to Tim Brooks, for a scan of
the catalog and info on the flip side.  I happen to have three 14-inch
center starts right here at the computer because I had gotten them at
the New Jersey music show and didn't get around to bringing them
downstairs in the three weeks since I got home.  The dealer had about 15
for more money that I wanted to pay since there was no recording that
really caught my interest, but there were three with haircracks for only
a couple of bucks, so those are the ones I got.  Turns out that two are
the same except one was made in France and the other in Belgium.  Do I
read this right that the disc's catalog number is the number in the
diamond, the cylinder master number is before the title around the label
area rim, and the trasnfer number is at the bottom below the Pathe name?

6229 Le Cimbre (Signard) Pas redouble- on the Belgium pressing has a
number on a diamond shaped sticker of 2151, and a number at the bottom
67761.RA  but on the French pressing the number on the diamond paper
sticker below the spindle hole seems to have been rubbed out.  The other
side of that French pressing  6896-  American Parade (Fremaux) Marche
caracteristique. also has a rubbed out paper diamond but has an engraved
diamond with 2151 above the spindle hole, but does not have paint in
it.  The number at the bottom is 68270.RA   But that side on the French
pressing has an engraved and paint filled number in a diamond below the
spindle hole of 8215.  Was this record's catalog number changed or
different in different markets?

The other record is a two parter, 93065 with a raised A above a dash on
Part 1 and a B above a dash on Part 2.  Egmont Overture (Beethoven)  The
Pathe Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Miss L. Bryant.  Both
sides have 2194 in the diamond, 98583_RA on side one and 98609_RA on
side 2, but both sides also have a 57 in a square box to the right of
the spindle hole.  All have paint.  What is the 57 snf is it unusual
that the conductor was a woman?  And what are the dates?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

Mike Biel wrote