[78-L] ebay gripes

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 13 17:43:35 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Nobody is FORCING YOU  to buy anything on ebay.  If they are being
> offered for more than anyone wants to pay, then it remains unsold and
> will probably (as I already said) go into their next garage sale or to
> Goodwill.  And although it might offend your sensibilities, there is
> nothing wrong or un-noble in working to sell things on e-bay, any more
> than running a garage sale, or a second-hand store, or a flea market
> booth, or an antique store.

Agreed...however, I still become disheartened (or worse) by the standard
XXI-Jahrhundert quest for more...and MORE...MONEY!! These days,
to paraphrase (someone OTHER than Vince Lombardi...?!)..."Money
isn't EVERYTHING...it's the ONLY THING!! FEH...?!?!

>> Worse yet, eBay has DEvolved into an all-too-typical sample of the
>> XXI Jahrhundert...a decade typified by "Gordon Gekko's" "Greed is GOOD!"
>>(an effective slogan of the world's right wing, although they will
>>probably
>> deny it...?!).
>
> No, EATING is good.  In today's economy, there is nothing dishonorable
> about being an ebay seller.  I don't think that the amateur
> non-collector who minimum prices something too high is being greedy.
> Since they do not know what it is worth they don't want to take the
> chance of selling something too cheap to a GREEDY COLLECTOR who is able
> to get something valuable cheap on ebay if nobody else notices it.  Kurt
> Nauck and Larry Holdridge know that valuable things won't pass thru
> their catalogs too cheap, but the ebay amateur is just trying to be
> careful, not greedy.

Nope...SEE ABOVE! VERY few of our "digital dealers" are so desperate
as to NEED their extra income in order to eat regularly (although that may
well change as "Great Depression--The Sequel" takes a stronger hold on
our cash-rich and ethics-poor human society...?!)...!

You'll have to pardon me...I've spent most of my 66+ years on the
planet being either poor or VERY poor...and I'm currently living
in a typical wealth-fascinated bit of suburbia as an effectively-
undesired "poor person" (aka "BUM!")!

Nope...in a time/place when CEO's and pro athletes can and do
collect HUNDREDS of freakin' millions of dollars...or more...and
then spend it all on proving to the hapless peasantry that they are
inherently superior in our in-built "Dominance Hierarchy" (an
unfortunate survival from our primate past, IMO...?!)...MY mind
goes, "Somethin's VERY wrong here...!!"

In fact, barring the total financial collapse of the US Of A and its
Social Security system (NOT impossible...?!)...I will spend
howsomever many years of elderly-hood I am granted in a
position where I FINALLY have a few simoleons to be paid
out for other-than-basic-survival purposes...!

...stevenc