[78-L] Jack Benny ETs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 11 21:08:53 PST 2008

joe at salerno.com wrote:
> Sammy,
>
> I don't know the answer to the question, but I am wondering if a
> recording made with intent to use for a time shift would have been
> overlapped - which would make it more difficult to que on the re-bcast.
>
> joe salerno

To the contrary.  The way I do an overlap is to find a word to start it
in cue when I hear it on the one on the air, and then I speed up
momentarily stop the second disc until they are in sync, and when I hear
the second one sounding better than the first one I crossface to the
second disc.

This seems to be a typical way they recorded in LA for rebroadcast.  I
have a couple Art Linkletter House Party programs recorded this way,
probably by Radio Recorders.  Those were TV soundtracks used for radio
airing right after the TV show.  I had thought that in this case since
the radio airing was right after the TV program, perhaps it would take
too long to get from Radio Recorders to CBS and they had to do the discs
in ten minute pieces since it took perhaps 17 minutes to get there.
That would require three runners getting the program there and that was
a rather dumb way to do it!!!

And to Sammy.  S1 and S2 cannot mean Side One and Side Two because the
third side is also noted as S1.  It is probably a notation of which
lathe the side was cut on, such as Scully 1 and Scully 2.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com