[78-L] eBay gripes

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Dec 11 17:55:52 PST 2008

I buy a lot of stuff on eBay,  and most of the time I'm quite happy with how
things turn out.

However,  there is one thing which is really beginning to bug me...the
number of record sellers who send you stuff Media Mail but who take all
sorts of Priority Mail envelopes,  tape,  and boxes  from the Post Office to
use as packing material.

I got a crappily packed box today via Media and the woman had used brand new
priority cardboard envelopes to put betwenen the records (no sleeves) and
also used a perfectly good empty Priority box to fill one end of the shitty
used box she sent the stuff in.

I don't know about you,  but I consider this nothing better than stealing
from the PO and I don't like it.

But I'm torn on what to do...my first thought is to leave negative feedback
and be specific as to why...I've also thought about contacting the postal
service itself and suggest that they are losing a lot of money by giving
away these priority items to cheapskates who won't buy their own shipping
supplies.

Any thoughts?  Is anyone else bothered by this behavior?

Another guy on line had a  "Buy It Now" on a record I'd wanted for a long
time...he made a big deal of noting all his experience in packing and
shipping 78s and then the thing arrived between a few pieces of used
cardboard taped together,  with the sleeveless record sliding around
inside...no box,  just the damn cardboard on which he had written,
helpfully,  the word "Fraglie."

I want to tell this guy to shape up as well,  but will it do any good?

Thanks for letting me vent.

Taylor B