[78-L] earliest recorded fon call Hello Hawaii How Are You!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Dec 11 09:16:10 PST 2008

Bud Black wrote:
> "I Wish There Was A Wireless To Heaven" - (1922) Irving Kaufman
>
> Bud

There are at least 20 songs about radio in the early 20s and I did an
ARSC presentation about them maybe 20 years ago.  I was about to do an
LP of them for Mark 56 Records when George Garabedian died suddenly and
the label was no more.   I've proposed doing it for Archeophone, along
with another one with about 20 comedy routines about radio.  I've got
copies of just about all of them.

> From: Bob Rice
> But was there ANY "Wireless Telephone" back then , even fron NYC to
> Hackensack?I didn't think Western Electric was that far along?

"Wireless Telephone" was the technical description of ANY transmission
of audio by radio, not just making a private "telephone call" from one
person to another person.  The official technical description of ANY use
of Morse code by radio was "Wireless Telegraph".  What the song was
actually discussing was
> Hell, it took
> til 1925 for electrical recordings?

Only for commercial releases using electrical processes.  Edison had
experimented with it in 1878, Guest and Merriman released one example in
1920 pressed by English Columbia, Victor, HMV, Brunswick, and just about
everybody else was experimenting with it between 1921 and 24.

> Maybe there WAS a radio line to Hawaii?

The song was also referring to the possibility of a ham operator or
broadcaster doing it as well as a private phone call.
> It's fun to collect the records that trace technology. This is what makes
> old records so much fun?   Seeya    Bob

Yeah, just about every technical development in that era got mentioned
in a song or comedy routine.  Cars, planes, trains, jitney busses,
electric lights, bicycles, snapshot cameras, computers . . .
COMPUTERS?????   OK, I lied.

Mike (well, they COULD have) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com