[78-L] Jack Benny ETs

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 10 21:18:02 PST 2008

I posted this over on the ARSC List, but got little response.  Maybe
somebody here can help...

In a recent internet auction I won a set of lacquer ETs of a Jack Benny
Program from November 7, 1948.  There were several episodes for sale, but I
only won one.  The discs have KFI/Earl C. Anthony labels, and the episode is
broken up into three parts that overlap with each other.

I don't think these are NBC reference recordings or recordings for Benny or
the sponsor because they have KFI labels.  As I understand it, KFI was not
owned by NBC, so would not be in the business of recording shows for NBC.

Ken Greenwald of Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters mentioned some time back that
KFI would record the Benny show off the line and play it back for late-night
broadcast in Los Angeles.  Are these discs the result of that practice?
Would a separate set of recordings have been made by Radio Recorders for
Jack's personal archive and perhaps American Tobacco's files?

Here are the matrix numbers:

Part 1 - 02662 F S1 p
Part 2 - 02662 F S2 p
Part 3 - 02662 F S1 p (part 3 is on the reverse of part 1)

Can anybody decode what these matrix numbers mean?  I assume "S1" and "S2"
refer to sides 1 and 2.

Finally, was the network repeat Benny show being played from ET or still
performed live at this point?

Sammy Jones