[78-L] earliest recorded fon call Hello Hawaii How Are You!

PHONOGUY at aol.com PHONOGUY at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 17:14:17 PST 2008

"In a message dated 12/10/2008 7:11:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
malcolm at 78data.com writes:

Interesting. The first Trans-Pacific cable to Hawaii was laid and became
operational on Dec. 28, 1901, but only for telegraph communications. On
Nov. 2, 1931 radio-telephones connected the major islands of Hawaii and
also the mainland. In Oct. 1957 a new phone cable was completed between
Hawaii and the mainland.
However, I have no idea when the first acoustic telephone call was made
from Hawaii to the West Coast. I think the "Hello Hawaii, How Are You?"
lyrics may have been wishful thinking on the writers part!""
Yes. I have several recordings of it. Some are just the tune..Pietro on
Columbia with his acordian. I also have the sheet music for it somewhere.  It
speaks of Capt. Jinks one night on Broadway, all alone...read the news about the
wireless telephone!.  His girl was in Hawaii and finally he asks her to "give me
a kiss, give me a kiss.. by wireless". Ahhh   romance :):):) Thanks Henry