[78-L] earliest recorded fon call

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 10 13:41:06 PST 2008

Thomas A Edison Inc introduced and attachement for the Ediphone, that is to
say their dictating machine which enabled one to record both sides of a
telephone conversation on an Ediphone wax cylinder blank. The device was
called the Telescribe and was introduced around 1914. It never seemed to
make much of an impression on business practice of the time.  It had been
anticipated by Poulsen's Telegraphone which was a magnetic recorder.  The
Telescribe was replaced by a newer model ,the Telediphone, which I
understand did have some degree of success. So it would seem if one could
find any of the recordings made on one of thse machines one would have a
rather early recording  of a phone conversation.
Message: 9