[78-L] Puckett & McMichen on a Race Record?

NORM COHEN ncohen at teleport.com
Wed Dec 10 11:19:17 PST 2008

When I first heard the disc about 30 years ago I was positive the guitarist
had to be Puckett, based on the style. (At the time I was writing an
article on the Skillet Lickers for J. American Folklore.)   Seems to me I
sent a note to whoever it was running corrections to B&G in some UK
periodical at the time, where it duly appeared.
Norm Cohen

(actually Virginia Childs), The St. Louis Blues / Down Hearted Blues. I had
heard that Riley Puckett & Clayton McMichen are actually the musicians that
accompany her? I looked up the credit in both Tony Russell's book as well
as Godrich & Dixon and sure enough, both groups were in the studio that day
& the matrix numbers are very close. Unfortunately, G&D lists the
accompanying musicians as unknown. Does anyone know for sure? Just
wondering before I stick my foot in my mouth somewhere down the road!