[78-L] Puckett & McMichen on a Race Record?

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Wed Dec 10 08:51:07 PST 2008

Malcolm - Venerable Music wrote:
> If I had to guess, I'd say that it is them - though it does kind of sound
> like something they just threw together. I suppose even more the reason to
> believe it is them.
> I uploaded a mp3 to the Venerable server if you want to take a listen -
> http://www.venerablemusic.com/The%20St.%20Louis%20Blues.mp3
>
> The Down Hearted Blues side is guitar/vocal only.
>
> Malcolm

I just listened to the mp3, and it certainly seems plausible.  It's hard
to tell about the fiddle part, since it's mostly backup.  But the guitar
is almost certainly a white man - listen to the boom-chuck strum and the
bass runs, and the lack of bends or other blues stylistics.  So Puckett
makes sense.  As to the fiddle, McMichen was certainly capable of doing
what we hear; and again it's not as bluesy as one might expect from a
Black player.  So yes, if they were hanging around the place why not use
them?  I wonder if they got any money for doing it....

--

      David Sanderson
      East Waterford, Maine

      dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com