[78-L] Cataloguing software, and necessary data fields (l. weiner)

Larry Weiner weiner.larry at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 14:11:00 PST 2008

I'm a PC person, and so my thoughts will reflect that perspective.

I (as a former software designer - now retired) tried building (in MS
Access) some cataloging software that would suit my needs.  That was
about 20 years ago.... and I'm glad I gave it up..... too much work
involved in building "personal" software.

So about 8-10 years ago I started looking around at what was available
and tried a number of different packages.  The one I settled on (and
still use) is called CATraxx (www.fnprg.com) and was developed by
someone in Oslo, Norway.  It is relatively inexpensive, has a large user
community (and internet base user forum), and has a very dedicated
developer.  Change requests are frequently incorporated into releases,
and new features added periodically.  It uses the MS Access (jet)
engine, for the database, but you do NOT use (or event need to own) MS
Access to update the database..... that is all handled through a very
nice user interface.  There are many, many user definable fields in
addition to fields that have already been standardized for describing
"record" collections (records, CDs, tapes, Mini Discs, etc)... you can
store digital photos of the record (labels, covers, liner notes,
etc).... reference MP3 files where that music might be accessible (on
you computer).

The database is essentially 2 levels deep. Albums (at the highest level)
and tracks (an album may have 0-to-many tracks associated with it).
I've added Martix Number as a User Defined field.

The CATraxx includes a good report writer and search capability.

Rarely does a piece of software do nearly everything I'd want it to do
..... but this one comes darn close.  You can download and try it out.

Larry Weiner
larry at larryweiner.com

PS:  I'm not financially associated with the company  :~).

So what can't it do..... well:

1).  Much of my music collection is from Eastern Europe..... (read
NON-English alphabets here).... and it would be "nice" if the user had
the option to enter some of the information in the native alphabet (eg.,
Bulgarian, Russian, former Jugoslavia etc).... rather than having to
figure out an appropriate orthography in English letters.

2).  It would be really nice if an entire database could be web enabled
for retrieval purposes ....... so that discographies could be available
and shared  "on-line" but protected from updating.

Message: 9