[78-L] FW: John Ryan

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 8 19:22:20 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Humbert" <patrick_humbert at hotmail.com>
> Does anyone owns records by John Ryan on Edison or other label ??? It
> seems to be a pseudonym for Irving Kaufman but I think it's doubtful....
> John Ryan made records with The California Ramblers, and with Arthur
> Hall... Thanks for the help,
> No..."John Ryan" on twenties labels seems to have been...John Ryan! He
> recorded extensively
for Grey Gull...and other labels, including all the Plaza labels...and his
Irish-brogue-tinged voice
is easily identifiable; he also was in several duet recordings.

However, the second, later "John Ryan" (he cut a number of "party records"
for a label
carrying that name...!) seems to be Joe Rines, who led a band in the
thirties...!

...stevenc