[78-L] Bell, Western Electric and Orthophonics

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 8 07:58:33 PST 2008

Michael Biel wrote:

> Western Electric .... continued to experiment with electrical recordings of
> music from the weekly New York Philharmonic-Symphony on WEAF in 1923 and
> 24.   These were found at Jim Hatfield's

BY ME! Jim called me and said he had some interesting transcriptions I might
want to look at. I borrowed everything he had, except for a couple that were
too badly broken to be playable, taped them and returned them to him.

> and are now at the NY Phil.

There were several that were NOT of the Philharmonic..some dance bands, an
earlier recording of the Associated Glee Clubs of America etc..I wonder where
those went?

> Which reminds me that I need to transfer off the R-DAT I made of them
> when Kurt loaned them to me.  I just found that tape yesterday, in fact. MB

Steve Smolian drove up to see them right after I'd returned them and used 4 or
5 of those sides in the New York Philharmonic Anniversary box set. Kurt came
along later. And this reminds me that I'd better put my transfers (on open
reel, on good stuff) onto something digital as well.