[78-L] Larry Adler anecdote

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 7 18:37:12 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <SDavies at mtroyal.ca>
> In a Time magazine review (1941-may-26), we learn these anecdote
> Larry Adler buys standard $4.50 harmonicas by the hundreds, blows their
> brass "reeds" out of tune in no time. He broke a tooth in tootling Maurice
> Ravel's Bolero for a Columbia record which became a best seller in Europe
> and the U.S.

As a "semi-pro" (blues) harmonicist I can comment meaningfully here...!

First, this suggests that Hohner "Marine Band" (or, possibly, a non-Axis
equivalent...?!) cost $4.50  in 1941...! These are standard 10-hole, 20-
reed diatonic "harps"...which I could buy in 1967 for $2.50 at the
USAF "Base Exchange" (BX's usually offered a discount price,
particularly on imported goods...!)!

Second..."harps" can quickly go "out of tune" on a specific reed
(which one varies with the type...!) This occurs when the reed
develops a microscopic crack due to metal fatigue. It is POSSIBLE
to prolong the useful life of the instrument by retuning the reed...but
it will ALWAYS break at the crack location with further use!

Third...I know (in fact, have heard on record!) Adler used "Chromatic"
harmonicas (these have a button to push which allows playing of
various sharp/flat semitones...!). The problem is that it is basically
impossible to "bend" notes on a Chromatic "harp"...so that standard
blues "runs" cannot be played on them...!

BTW, Marine Band "harps" now cost around Cdn$20 or so...!

...stevenc