[78-L] Larry Adler anecdote

Anthony Baldwin jazztrash at wanadoo.fr
Sun Dec 7 08:51:02 PST 2008

I doubt that the tempi on the 1930 Polydor Bolero recording were
necessarily Ravel's own. According to Jacques Canetti, producer of
the sessions, "Albert Wolff conducted the Orchestre Lamouroux quite
competently ... Naturally, Ravel was present, which allowed us to say
that it had been recorded under his direction... He was shy,
courteous and rather vague."

Later that year when Polydor recorded the Quatuor Galimir in Ravel's
string quartet, the composer remarked to Canetti, "That's nice. Who's
it by?" — Poor MR was very obviously losing it.

Tony B