[78-L] Matrix numbers [Victor, anyway]

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Dec 6 18:40:24 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Harkin" <harkinmike at yahoo.com>
> Classical Victors from the various branches of HMV do have those mxx on
> the
> wax.  Don't remember if they have Victor's mxx also, either in the wax or
> printed on the label....
> FWIW

Sides obtained from the various "overseas" HMV branches DO show their
matrix number...which was on the European stampers sent to (RCA) Victor!
In the "wax," though...not on the label. And, AFAIK, they were NOT given
US matrix numbers as controls!

However, SOME (not ALL) Red Seals DO show their matrix numbers on the
labels...in parentheses under the catalog numbers. I've never figured out
how/
why this practice took place...!

...stevenc