[78-L] Songs in ads vs. ad songs

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 6 14:33:56 PST 2008

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> That is true...but the idea was that Olds took the old 1903 song and turned
> it into part of an ad campaign in 1927.
>
> Once in a while a song used in a broadcast ad of some sort will be turned
> into a pop song.  Off hand,  the only one I can think of is that Coke ad
> from the early 70s ("I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing") but I'm sure
> there are others.

Chiquita Banana..numerous versions, discussed here the other week
She Lets Her Hair Down (Clairol?)..on a Bert Kaempfert LP
The Homecoming..Hagood Hardy (originally a Tea commercial in Canada)

> On a similar topic, I recall finding my first copy of the T Dorsey Victor of
> "Good Mornin' " and discovering that it was the same song as a Kellogg's
> Corn Flakes ad which was then saturating the air waves.

I first discovered it while listening to a cassette of movie promos (air
trailers) someone had sent me..Martha Raye sings it in Mountain Music. Don't
know if Bob Burns plays it on his bazooka.

> Of course now every baby-boomer rock record under the sun has been used in
> an ad by some company or another.

Yup..currently being inundated with Donovan's "Happiness Runs" on Canadian TV.
Don't ask me what the product is..I became immune to advertising long ago.

dl