[78-L] Noisy vinyl

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 5 14:27:12 PST 2008

Some Canadian pressing plants were notorious for crappy vinyl. Quality used
regrind well into the 70s (and apparently purchased it from a large syndicator
of radio transcriptions), RCA's Smith Falls plant was rumored to have been
sabotaged by a disgruntled worker who poured something like gravel into the mix
used for mono pressings, and Compo's Cornwall plant had an employee who
discovered he could go home two hours early if he cleaned the stampers with
sandpaper instead of alcohol..it took two years to determine the source of
these rotten pressings we were getting between 1964 and 1966 (London, Capitol,
all the Compo labels).

At least one AM radio station in Toronto bought everything in stereo in the
early 60s because they knew they'd get better quality pressings.

dl