[78-L] Paul Robeson label copy - bass or baritone?

Mike Richter mrichter at cpl.net
Fri Dec 5 12:00:40 PST 2008

Thomas Stern wrote:
> Just noticed a Columbia Robeson listing which credits him as (Bass),
> I have a notation that another label on the same record 71367 lists him as
> Baritone.
> Anyone know reason for discrepancy, or perhaps I have incorrect data -
> unfortunately I didn't scan the
> label.

It is not a "discrepancy" - just a difference in judgement. The front of
ML 4105 lists him as a "bass-baritone"; on the back he is twice
identified as a "baritone". Had he been conventionally trained early on,
he might well have been a baritone in the classic sense (e.g., William
Warfield or Todd Duncan), but as developed his voice was sui generis.

Voice categories are not well defined even in classical singing.
Attempts to pin them down lead to overly fine distinctions and pointless
disputation. From basso cantante through bass-baritone, dramatic
baritone, lyric baritone and baryton Martin, a singer may perform in two
or three adjacent categories and bear the label for each on recording.

One of the great singers of today, Thomas Quasthoff, has performed
portions of the three principal male roles in The Magic Flute: bass,
baritone and tenor. A major critic asked him whether he would also sing
music for the Queen of the Night (a high soprano part). He replied: only
if the pants are too tight.

Mike
mrichter at cpl.net
http://www.mrichter.com/