[78-L] Record playing speed

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 3 20:41:45 PST 2008

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> As well, both Lennick and I own instantaneous discs cut at 55 (?!)
> RPM...no idea why...or even HOW...?!
>
> ...stevenc

Well, we do know that they all came from one source, a Montreal collector who
had either a pair of turntables or a tandem unit, because the programs
airchecked (which included drama programs, comedy, newscasts including the ONLY
authentic contemporary CBC news broadcast by the "Voice of Doom", Lorne Greene,
complete operas and more) were in "slide automatic" format and he was able to
slow both turntables to 55RPM (sometimes 56) to maximize the available time on
a ten-inch disc, about six minutes a side. How the collection got split up is
something I've never been able to determine, since boxes of these discs also
turned up in CBC Archives, where they probably sit unaccessioned to this day.