[78-L] music in Jean Harlow film - help!

Forsberg, Chris cforsber at jhsph.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:38:03 PST 2008

I posted this same question once or twice in the past, but no one was able to help: I have been trying for years to identify the singer and band that performs the song "Red Headed Woman" in the 1932 Jean Harlow film of the same name. It is played and sung during the opening credits and later in the film (audio only), in a nightclub scene, played and sung again but this time you can see the singer and band actually performing it. Until now, I have not had a video clip or even a sound clip to play anyone, so I've had to just hope that people on this list, and others, had actually seen the film. I just finally located a video clip of part of the film on You Tube, however. Unfortunately, it is only of the opening credits, not the nightclub scene, but maybe someone on here can ID the performer by the voice. Here's the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE8A6xC1iFA

The song starts at about 21 seconds in. I've emailed the person who posted the video, asking if they have digitized the nightclub scene....if they have, I'll post that later.

Thanks,

Chris F.