[78-L] The Japanese in Berlin

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Wed Dec 3 07:55:30 PST 2008

At 16:43 03.12.2008, you wrote:
>Could our Japanologists shed light on this disc?
>What did the Japanese do at the Berlin Brandenburg Gate in September 1931?
><http://www.lotz-verlag.de/berlin-sept1931.jpg>

Are you sure (from the content of the disc) about Japanese? The script does make sense in Chinese - read from right to left the characters are "bo lin chun qiu" in modern Pinyin transcription, where "bo lin" is a phonetical approximation of "Berlin", and "chun qiu" means "a year" or "four seasons". Not very helpful though.....

Certainly the Japanese do like to use Chinese script especially for formal purposes (like a record logo!), so maybe the words have a more specific expressiveness in Japanese...?

Chris Zwarg