[78-L] ^What fresh L is this? was Re: Turn around time for auctions

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 3 00:59:42 PST 2008

Being in the travel business, I write copy aimed at US, Canadian and British markets.

I use 'traveler' and 'traveled' for US clients, and 'traveller' and 'travelled' for Canadian and British markets. Because that is what my international colleagues do, and it is exactly what I learned at school.

The same applies to 'canceled' or 'cancelled' reservations.

As far as I know, European languages derived from latin apply the latin rule that the last consonant before the suffix is doubled - unless there is no vowel before this consonant, therefore it is not 'doublled'. That's the way I learned it.

Alex