[78-L] ^ Story of the LP

J.F. Bennett citypointsb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 06:56:57 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net>wrote:

> 1) Possibly. WWI had involved the known, familiar world of its time
> (1914-18)...that is, ALL of Europe, and after 1917 the US Of A as
> well. That early, lands like China and Japan existed only on odd atlas
> pages...there was no realization they were actual COUNTRIES with
> actual INHABITANTS!
>
> 2) "WWII" was MUCH closer to being an actual "WORLD" war! It
> involved Asia, and was partially fought in portions of Africa; further,
> the British Empire (which actually existed then) included a fair amount
> of "The World"as it was understood then!
>

> ...stevenc

Steven,

   I do hate to disagree with you, however The World War did involve the
Orient. Japan declared war on Germany and Austro-Hungary in August of 1914.
China did the same in August of 1917. Siam in July 1917 also declared war on
Austro-Hungary and Germany. South American nations, African colonies and at
least one nation-Liberia (Aug. 1914), Pacific colonies and nations. It was a
war like no other up to that time.

Gents,

   Last night I watched  Capra's *Meet John Doe*, James Gleason's character
Henry Connell refers the the war as "The World War" as well.

I also found this:

   "There is no doubt that the course and character of the feared 'European
war' ... will become the first world war in the full sense of the word"
Ernst Haeckel (German biologist & philosopher, 1834-1919)
Indianapolis Star, Sept. 20, 1914

I have found one or two references to the Great War as the first world war
before 1939, of course I believe it was a semantically different use of the
word "first" than we use it today to refer to that conflict. I have also
found references to it as "The Trench War" and "The Kaiser's War", "The
European War" and of course as was mentioned "The War to End All Wars".
  A very interesting subject, however I think some of the membership may be
getting bored with this particular off-topic topic. ;-) To them-my apologies
for rambling on.

Phonographically,
John B.