[78-L] ^ Story of the LP

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 1 22:21:27 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "William A Brent" <bbrent at pipeline.com>
> At 02:35 PM 12/1/2008, you wrote:
>>  I remember getting detention in high school when I disagreed with the
>>teacher when he said WWI ended in 1918 and I said it actually didn't end
>>until 1920 when the Treaty of Versailles took effect, but actually I guess
>>it was 1923 when a treaty was finally signed by Turkey!
> I had a similar problem when I argued that the US did not gain
> independence
> in 1776 - they (we) simply declared it - it wasn't won until King
> George finally said
> "enough!" (or at least until the treaty of Paris was ratified in
> January of 1784).
> - just to make myself even more annoying, I maintained the
> bicentennial should have
> been in June of 1988 - 200 years after the constitution was ratified.

MUCH simpler here in Canada! The country was officially established
on July 1, 1867...when "Confederation" was accepted by the British
Empire and we officially became "The Dominion Of Canada!"

Ensuing years brought further recognition of increased independence...
but for official purposes, Canada observes July 1, 1867...!

...stevenc