[78-L] Story of the Lp

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 1 22:12:49 PST 2008

Royal Pemberton wrote:
> How about the HL series, which started at HL 9001?  (H as in
> hillbilly.)  I don't have any of those either.

I was limiting my comments to the four series in the initial June 1948
Columbia release.  I don't think this series was in the July release
either.  Looking at the very first Schwann, Oct 1949 (I have the
official anniversary reprint of it) they only list HL 9002 thru 9010.
The October 1951 Schwann (the next one I have, this time in an original)
shows HL 9001 as Gene Autry Western Classics with HL 9002 being Gene
Autry Western Classics 2.  Going back to the Oct 1949 Schwann, they list
both of them but list Vol 1 as CL 6020!  The Columbia catalog with the
first release only goes as high as CL 6019. They must have put out CL
6020 in July or August, but then when they established the HL 9000
series they took it out of the CL 8000 series and re-numbered it.  Next
time I go up to R&H I'll try to check their full set of Schwanns to see
how and when this worked out.  Meanwhile, anybody have either CL 6020 or
HL 9001??   I don't have any of them either, at least I don't think I
do.   I wonder if they came out with plain covers or if they were late
enough to have illustrated covers in their first pressings.  Cary???
And another interesting note, in that same Columbia 1949 catalog which
goes thru June 1948 for popular, over on the 78 side they list Autry
Western Classics as 78 album H-1.  It is illustrated in the color
montage on the rear cover, and I think I have it.  The album is also on
the back of the 1948 catalog but there are NO AUTRY records listed in
the catalog at all.  And only a few singles are listed in the 1947
catalog, but there are MANY in the 1949!  Strange.  The 1952-1953
Columbia catalog lists the album as H-l on 78, H-4-1 on 45 and as BOTH
CL-6020 and HL-9001 on 33.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

The only JL from the first release I have is JL 8004.