[78-L] ^ Story of the LP

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 1 21:55:39 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> Chris Zwarg wrote:
>> At 17:39 01.12.2008, you wrote:
>>> er... wouldn't that be the 90th anniversary?
>> Not quite - before Sep.1st 1939, there was no reason to call it "FIRST"
>> World War; usually English-speaking people referred to the 1914-18 war
>> simply as "The Great War".
>> Chris Zwarg
> Then shouldn't we call the 1939 war "The Greater War"?  Or maybe "The
> Greatest War" as in "The Greatest Generation"?   And since the U.S. and
> most of Asia did not enter the war until 1941, was it really called WW
> II before then?

1) Possibly. WWI had involved the known, familiar world of its time
(1914-18)...that is, ALL of Europe, and after 1917 the US Of A as
well. That early, lands like China and Japan existed only on odd atlas
pages...there was no realization they were actual COUNTRIES with
actual INHABITANTS!

2) "WWII" was MUCH closer to being an actual "WORLD" war! It
involved Asia, and was partially fought in portions of Africa; further,
the British Empire (which actually existed then) included a fair amount
of "The World"as it was understood then!

3) I have NO idea when "WWII" became an official "World War"...!

4) Consider that the cure for our current economic difficulties...which
could conceivably be "Great Depression -- The Sequel"...MAY well
be World War III! This would almost certainly be nuclear...and quite
possibly involver chemical and biological weaponry as well! Therefore,
the question becomes, "Can life on Earth survive WWIII...or will
the planet be populated by radioactive mutant cockroaches...?!"

Na und...?!

...stevenc